Monday, April 14, 2008

The Pony Express - Part 3

APRIL 14TH 2008: PHILADELPHIA:

The tale of three cities is complete...

Philadelphia, The Cradle of Liberty, The Quaker City, and also, as its name translates, known rather embarrassingly as “The City of Brotherly Love” (Greek: philos – love and adelphos – brother) - the ancient capital of the United States of America. As we flew over the city at 4:00 PM, it looked much like any great European capital, with the mighty Delaware with its huge metallic bridges cleaving the city into two parts. Winter had given away to spring, and the ice and snow at the mouth of the great St. Lawrence River in Canada had started melting. The muddy waters of the St. Lawrence had greeted me when I opened my window during the flight. The earth was sheathed in a layer of snow, as if someone had sprinkled salt on the ground. The clouds were thick, resembling bales of cotton bundled up together and left to waste. This was a flight I would remember, in spite of “Enchantment” (I nearly wrote it as “Enhancement” – too much of work!) and “National Treasure: Book of Secrets”.

Philadelphia International Airport is one of the busiest International Airports in the world (as of 2008, it is the 10th busiest in terms of aircraft activity), a fact not lost on me, since it took me more than an hour to exit the airport after baggage claim and immigration clearance. As I waited at the entrance for the taxi, I noticed that most of the cab drivers were Asians. Not surprisingly, so was my taxi driver. And the taxi, it was a “Lincoln”. I gladly remembered that my previous car ride in the United States had also been in a Lincoln. “Hindi mein baat keejiye na? yahan pe bilkul sunne ko nahin milta” exclaimed the amicable Mr. Malik, from Lahore, Pakistan. What greeted me as I entered the cab was Lata Mangeshkar’s voice crooning one of the songs that I had unsuccessfully hunted for on the web: “Dil Ka Diya Jalaake Chala, Yeh Kaun Meri Tanhayee Mein…”

We drove through the countryside. Spring was breaking and the barren trees had started flowering. Colours of white and yellow dominated the roadsides, and the odd cherry blossom added to the revelry. It was almost six o clock when I settled down in my apartment. I switched on the television for relaxation and immediately found a Tele-Shopping Channel. And ironically, they were selling stones.

14 comments:

Aruna said...

Nice Post; especially liked the 'meaning' behind the name of the city.

Anonymous said...

But why 'known rather embarrassingly?'...I found it very amusing! Think about it - even Husband & Wife having 'Brotherly love' just because they reside in 'PHILADELPHIA'....

Aruna said...

Coming back to the Historical City, I always thought this city had an India Connection ( This kind of connection is only possible to a bipolar mind!) - Benjamin Franklin, and The Declaration of Independence, City of Philadelphia, its social importance, owe a lot to the 'Tea Act' and the 'Boston Tea Party'. Apart from the other frustrations against Britain, 'Tea Act' was one of the many causes of American Revolution.

Aruna said...

Tax on Salt -> Dandi March.
Tax on Tea -> Boston Tea Party.

And we know the importance of these two milestones in the 'Declaration of Independence' of both America, and India....

Hey...Am I developing a new respect for 'Tea?'. But there are more interesting stories about 'Coffee'...

Mostly Sharamless said...

...because, Philadelphia is widely considered as the centre of Gay rights across the world. :)

Mostly Sharamless said...

and talking about the Boston Tea Party, did you know that when Gandhi met Lord Irwin, the Lord offered him a cup of tea. The story goes that Gandhiji took out a spoon of salt and put it in the tea, and exclaimed: "This is to remind us of the Boston Tea Party"

Mostly Sharamless said...

Waise, my friend stays in Boston. She has invited me to her place. When I go, i'll ask her to throw me a tea party. That way, the Indian connection would grow ever more stronger

Aruna said...

I liked the idea of the 'Boston Tea Party 2008' idea!! At least, now vishalakshi will relax that RS is back in form....what this 'philly' talk....she told me she only heard you talk about partying with girls, and few posts were not in line with what she warned the girls around the Globe!!

Aruna said...

RS is a TK - Trivia King....I salute you....for containg all 'useful, yet useless' information in that brain of yours!

Aruna said...

Now, I know why you call yourself 'Lord Ravi'...Quiz Masters are Gods...Yes, only problem is that I am an atheist...My brain is too small to comprehend the concept of God.....

Mostly Sharamless said...

Well, maybe there really is a "God of Small Things"...

Aruna said...

Check this out :

http://dribibu.xs4all.nl/dilbert19960211.html

Dilbert on Omega Point.

Dilbert Uvacha: " supreme being must be our future, not our origin. His idea is that God must be the entity that will be formed when enough people are connected by the Internet."

That future, is not in sight - my borad band connection was out for a full week!

Mostly Sharamless said...

well, check this out: http://www.scborromeo.org/saints/isidores.htm

Mostly Sharamless said...

As for me, one fo the best definitions of God that i've come across is from the movie "Swades":

"Mann se ravan jo nikaale, ram uske mann mein hai..."