Thursday, May 24, 2007

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head...


Yesterday it rained.

It was not a shower, but a storm - a storm that came from nowhere - the first of the season. I hope it is the first of many to come, for I love it when it rains.

Memories of childhood come running to me whenever I see the rain. Perhaps I shouldn't be happy, but I wonder why I am. The monsoon in Kerala has a charm of its own. The earliest memory I have is the pitter patter of the rain on the tiled roof of our house at the Hill Palace. I was a show-off right from my childhood, as I loved to flaunt my colourful umbrella to everyone around. I used to know at least four different designs for making paper boats and I cannot recall how many times i have been scolded for playing in the rain.

Perhaps there might be very few people around who have not been scolded for playing in the rain. It is always a reprimand about catching the odd cold or fever. As time passes, perhaps due to the effect of all the warnings that we get, we come to dread going out in the rain. I can still recall all the miseries I have endured as a result of being caught in the rain at the wrong moment.

But yesterday was different...

I stepped into the rain for a moment, only to be chastised by my friends - "Don't behave as if you are Shah Rukh Khan!" For a moment, I thought of myself as the child I was once - running around with all the paper boats under my arms. Alas, we no longer have that childish innocence with us to enjoy the rains. As I put on my helmet in the months of June or July, I look up at the sky, and wish that it does not burst forth when I am driving. "Have you taken your jacket?" was the last thing I heard from my parents today morning, as I sat on my bike.

It's raining again now, and once more, I'm off in the rain.

I wear my glasses so that you can't see my eyes...
I walk in the rain so that you can't see my tears...

2 comments:

Organised Nomad said...

Ravi, so much true..Feel so nostalgic after reading this blog.It reminded me the days where the schools closed because of heavy rains n we had so much fun in making paper baots n competing.That reminds me of the Double boat, sword boat... But over a period of time, i've seen diminishing rate.Feeling nostalgic..
 

Anonymous said...

Very nice post..

Piravi - my favorite movie....I watched it with my grandfather!!

It is long time wish to visit Kerala once during mansoon...This time, I have chosen Sahyadri, Karnataka....

But, I still enjoy myself the same way as I used to as a 5 yr old kid...Yes, and stop to make few paper boats. My parents, are divine!! Didn't scolded then, and don't do it now....for they know that nothing can stop me, when it rains...